On Monday 30 May 2005 12:54 pm, Klaus Schneider wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Mai 2005 18:16 schrieb Anil Singh:
> > Have begun using the free version OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 downloaded
> > from your website. I have been a Microsoft office user for years
> > but find the OpenOffice.org software better than Microsoft Office
> > in many ways. The only hitch is that there is no database component
> > in this version though it is shown as a component of the
> > OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta on the website.
> >

> > Could you please let me know if there is not database component in
> > this version or whether I have not been able to install the
> > software fully?
> >

> > Anil Singh
>
> Hi Anil,
>
> OpenOffice supports a lot of connections to existing databases, but a
> own database component is a feature of the upcoming Oo 2.0, which is
> still betha.
>
> So I think you installed Oo fully.

     OOo 1.1.4 has a database, but it is hard to find. It is a dBase
database format. You need to have a file open to access it. (An
untitled text document will work fine.)
Tools > Data sources will open the Data Source Administration window.
You can create a dBase database from here.
     For more elaborate databases, OOo 1.1.4 will act as the front end
of them. But these databases have to be created by another program.
Many people have done this with MYSQL and POSTSQL.

Dan