At 14:40 24/11/2008 -0800, Elchanan Noname wrote:
This may seem a bit lame, but I'm used to Excel, transitioning to Calc, and some things are just a bit different.

It doesn't sound lame to me: yes, there will obviously be a learning curve with a new application.

In Excel, if I select and copy a row, then insert copied cells, the row is duplicated above itself. In Calc, when I copy a row and then insert cells, row, etc. I just get a blank new row. How can I replicate that Excel action in Calc?

o  Copy the row or rows you wish to duplicate.
o  Select the row (or a cell) where you want the material inserted.
o Go to Edit | Paste Special... (or right-click | Paste Special... or Ctrl+Shift+V).
o  In the Paste Special dialogue, under "Shift cells" select Down and click OK.

You can select either a block of cells or entire rows. If you select multiple rows as the target range, the copied material is duplicated as necessary to fill it. And you can do similar things with columns using Right in place of Down.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker