Barbara Duprey wrote:
Patrick McAuley wrote:
I have just set up a new computer running MS Windows Vista Home Premium and I have downloaded, installed and registered OOo Version 3, but I can't get it to launch. I tried opening Writer and Calc and got the same result each time: the little whirring Windows launch circle spins for a few seconds, then stops and nothing appears, no new window, no error message, nothing.

I have always been an MS Office user but thought I would try OpenOffice on this new computer, but so far, I'm very discouraged. Can you suggest any settings, adjustments, etc. that I may be missing?

Patrick McAuley
Guelph, Canada

I run OOo on VistaHP with no problem. I have seen something like this before, though, when a "rogue" instance of soffice.bin is still running when I try to open one of the OOo apps. If this is what's causing your difficulty, you can either do a restart, or use the task manager to terminate any instances of soffice.bin that are running (the soffice.exe processes terminate automatically when you get rid of their parents). After that, you should be able to open an OOo app.

In a different thread, a person said he/she could not get OOo installed on their 64-bit Vista computer.

What is your OS and processor?

I am running Vista-32 bit on a Pentium Dual-Core Dell laptop. [ I would rather have a HP, but did not have the cash to replace
my old HP XP/pro machine with a HP Vista one, when it broke.]

The solution above is something I have done on several programs
under Vista.  Something quirky about Vista and loading/running
programs.
Tim L.

PM