On 14/12/2008 17:27, Gillian Steedman wrote:
I have discovered that your Office XP Pro is an OEM (original equipment
manufacturer) package that is only available to companies who build
computers, such as your friends at Aber.ac

This is completely wrong *or* you are talking to the wrong people. Please read on below.
For the time being, rather than spending any money on fairly expensive
upgrades, I have just downloaded the OpenOffice.org
<http://www.openoffice.org/>  software suite which should do everything you
need.  It is completely compatible with Word etc and you can even save in
those formats.

OpenOffice is free to download and free to use on as many computers as you like in any context you like - business, personal, education etc. Support is also free via this mail list which is run by users who volunteer time to help other users. Documentation is also free via the web site. You should always download the software from www.openoffice.org where you will also find the documentation.
You can give it a try, at least, and if you don't get on with it buy the
Office 2007 Home version.

Don't buy OpenOffice. I think the thing you call "Office 2007 Home version" is *Microsoft Office* which is very definitely not free; nor is its documentation; nor is its support.
I will also shortly (30 days max) have to upgrade my antivirus software and
have decided to get the combined ZoneAlarm
<http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-gb/zonealarm-antivirus-software.htm>
Antivirus & Firewall software.
There is a perfectly good version of ZoneAlarm which is *free*. It only does the firewall part of your security. For a good *free* anti virus package, try AVG. I've been using both of those for years now on Windows XP and they work very well.
I will be getting a licence for 3 PCs - the same price as two single
licences - as I need one for my laptop and one for my PC.  Ian doesn't need
one (he has another year to run on his), so you can have the spare!

You don't need licences for any of the above.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England