After mucking around for three days I have finally managed to install and English (Australia) dictionary.

Here are the steps I followed which might be of some use to others who have lost their version 2.4, or earlier, dictionaries. I use Windows XP and have installed the Australian dictionary, but you can make the necessary changes to install your own language dictionary under your own OS.

1.  Download the English (Australian) dictionary from:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/AustralianDictionary
(thanks, Manfred, for the URL)

2.  Save the dictionary file to a folder you can locate later.

3.  Open OOo Writer (ver 3.0)

4.  Click on:  Tools > Extension Manager > "ADD" button

5. In the 'Open' dialogue box, navigate to the folder where you saved your dictionary file and double click on it (which will open it, and add it to the list in Extension Manager)

6.  Restart your computer

7.  Open OOo Writer 3.0

8. Click on: Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids > Edit, and select English (Australia) (make sure the Hunspell SpellChecker box is ticked)

9.  Close back to Language Settings, and this time click on Languages

10.  Configure Languages as below:

-- User interface:  Default
-- Locale setting:  English (Australia)
-- Decimal separator key:  tick 'same as locale setting'
-- Default currency:     English (Australian)
-- Default languages for documents: English (Australia) (there should be a large tick before the words English (Australia) if the dictionary is properly installed)

This worked for me and I hope it helps someone else.

Kind regards, James