When you download OOo and save it to a folder under Win XP, you end up with a file which, when executed, first extracts itself, usually to the desktop, and then automatically proceeds to install itself.

Afterwards, you are left with two installation folders, the one you downloaded, and the one on your desktop which contains the extracted files.

QUESTION

If you were burning a CD or putting the OOo installation files onto a USB thumb drive to give to a friend or colleague, would you:

1.  give him/her a copy of the file you downloaded and saved;

or

2.  give him/her a copy of the folder of extracted files from your desktop?

I have never known the answer to this question. I, personally, usually take the downloaded file with me as it is only one file to copy and paste onto my USB drive, but, then again, when I run it on my customer or friends computer it puts a new folder on his/her desktop containing the extracted files. I usually delete this desktop folder after installation to avoid any confusion and to conserve space on their hard disk. On the other hand, if I run the installation from the extracted files then I don't get this folder being created on the desktop.

So, which is the best approach?

Many thanks,

James.