From: Twayne <t...@twaynesdomain.com>
Subject: [users] Re: How do you merge to a "directory"
To: users@openoffice.org
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 10:28 AM

> Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 17:30 04/01/2009 -0800, Allan Abrahamse wrote:
>>> How do I use openoffice writer to create a "directory"
>>
>> I don't know that you can use Mail Merge in this way - at least,
not
>> directly.  Here is a slightly messy workaround, ...
>
> I have also just used copy/paste to replicate enough database fields
> to handle all the records, then used 'Data to Fields' to fill
them.
> As long as your 'directory' isn't the Manhattan phone book or
the
> Sears catalog, it's manageable.
>
> I usually make more fields than I have records, then manually delete
> the empty ones after merging the data, but you could use conditions
> to hide the empty ones.
>
> This does get fiddly when you have headers or other breaks at specific
> places in the data, e.g. alphabetic sections. They have to be
> positioned by hand--well at least I haven't thought of a better way
> to handle it.
> Even so, it's a few minutes of copy/paste.
>
> <Joe

You can use File; Save or Save As to create a new directory.  Create the
new directory as though you wanted to save to it, then just click your
way out of the Save As dialog; the directory will remain as you placed
it.
   The create directory is the middle icon in the upper right part of
the Save As dialog box.  Or, the Save dialog, if you have not saved
yet.  It's available most anywhere you could do a Save from.

HTH

Twayne