In openoffice.org 3 calc the display of selected cells is extremely
slow, since it seems to involve GetImage and PutImage requests for the
entire screen area containing the selected cells. This causes horrendous
amounts of network traffic and slowness. (This diagnosis might not be
100% correct, but it is doing something like this.)

Nothing else in openoffice.org is affected in this way--only the display
of selected cells in calc.

I notice that setting the gtk theme to an inverted (white on black)
theme fixes the problem. Apparently calc transfers pictures of the
on-screen display and does a sort of shading effect on the selected
cells, but when running with the inverted gtk theme, it does not do
this, and simply inverts the selected cells instead.

The whole idea of doing image manipulation to show the selection seems
strange (drawing the cells with different background and text colours
sounds much more efficient), but I will be quite happy if I can just get
the inverted behaviour but without having to use an inverted gtk theme.

How can I configure openoffice.org to do this?

I don't really want to rebuild it because it is so huge (I am currently
using the binary RPM packages from openoffice.org running on x86_64) but
if there is no way of fixing this behaviour through configuration, then
some pointers on what code to hack would be much appreciated.

At the moment, selecting cells is essentially impossible for people on
WAN. Even with the X terminal on 100 megabit LAN it is slow (but
usable). All other features are very fast--if I can just solve this one
issue, it will be great.

I would go back to openoffice.org 2.4, but that has another highly
bizarre problem. (After running for a while it would gradually slow
down--but let't not go there now!)

Many thanks for any help!

--
Mario Becroft <m...@gem.win.co.nz>