2009/1/12 andrea ruming <ah_rum...@bigpond.com>

> i have tried everything but my spellchecker does not work .gone into
> tools-spell grammar options wont let me tick anythingi if i go into
> spellcheck it sayes spellcheck is complete but nothing is happening .and i
> know i have made mistakes.
> help..
>   andrea

Hello Andrea

Language in OpenOffice.org is an attribute of the character/letter, and you
would typically include it in a Paragraph style (see first icon on Format
toolbar, and droplist next to it / or click F11)

• Take a look at Format > Character > Font type > Western text > Language.
You should find a list of languages there - some have an ABC-V sign in front
of them, which means that the spellcheck dictionary is installed for this
language (you may find English-US, English-UK etc.)

• You choose the language you'll use most of the time in Tools >  Options >
Language settings > Languages > Default language > Western. Again, you'll
see (or not) the ABC-V sign next to the dictionaries that are installed.
You can also choose Asiatic and Complex scripts, and determine a default
language in these scripts.

• If you have the Status bar active (bottom of OOo window), you'll see in
the third rectangle the language of the paragraph the cursur is in.

• If dictionaries you need aren't installed yet, you can do this in the
following way:
- in OOo up to version 2.4.2 with the Dictionary Wizard (File > Wizard or
Assistant > Install dictionary from the Web)
- from OOo 3.0.0 onwards, dictionaries come as extensions, and you can find
them at
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo Aqua 3.0.1 on a iMac Intel DualCore Leopard