Heather Jarman wrote:
I would like to download a UK English version of Open Office to try on my
new MacBook running MacOS 10.5.5. I donĀ¹t see this in the list of downloads.
Does it exist?

If so, before I download it, one facility I use a lot in the dread Microsoft
Word is the reviewing function for editing papers written by other authors.
Does Open Office have this function?

Thanks for your help

Heather

Heather;

I am not a Mac person, so the Mac related questions is not my "cup of tea". But I will give it a try.

go to;

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

look for your operating system and processor type.

Mac OSX Intel has the 3.0.1 version
but
Mac OSX PPC is still on version 2.4.0

These versions are standard English.  But you can download UK English
dictionaries from;

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#English_.28AU.2CCA.2CGB.2CNZ.2CUS.2CZA.29

And you can find Extensions at;

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

There is also a EuroOffice version of OpenOffice.org.
You may want to check it out.

http://www.multiracio.com/eurooffice/about

There is a free version and some paid version that has some extras
that you cannot find in their free version or the standard Openoffice.

Then there is a Mac port of Openoffice.org called NeoOffice.org

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

They have not yet created a 3.0 version, but it may be worth a look.

------------------------------

I will say that OpenOffice.org 3.0.0 will read Word 2007 files (.doc and docx) and OOo 2.x.x version will read and write Word 2003 files(.doc).

I used (Windows XP) version 2.x.x instead of MS Word for all of my .doc files and had no trouble. Reading and writing them and sending them off for Word users to edit them and send them back to me. Then I upgraded
to 3.0.0 and now 3.0.1.  I still use it with no troubles with .doc files
reading and writing. I can read most .docx files with version 3.0.x, but I do not write them. I stick with .doc files since more people can use them than the .docx.

Also I prefer to use .odt for my own files. I send this open document format to everyone that has OpenOffice.org, and save the file to .doc for those who still use Word. One of the great benefits using the .odt format for my documents is the fact that it takes much less hard drive space to save them.

Now the "Author Reviewing" part is the question. What type of reviewing do you do? I know for a fact that Piers Anthony, a SciFi and Fantasy author, uses OpenOffice.org on both Linux and Windows machines to do all of his manuscripts. I have a friend that is in the business of manuscript "editor" for several authors. She has a Mac and used OpenOffice.org whenever possible. It all come down to what your "reviewing" needs are.

I hope this helped you.  But you have to decide which version/port
of OpenOffice.org you want to use. See if there is a local Mac user group in your area. They can help a lot, so I have been told.

Either way.  OpenOffice.org version 2.x.x or 3.0.x will do a good job
with reading standard Word .doc files. With the dictionaries, extensions, and add ons you can find, you can do a lot of good things with OOo. My setup of OOo helps me a lot. With my stroke damaged mind, I need all the help with my documents that I can. OOo does it for me. I just wish I had all those things in this Thunderbird email client.

Tim L.
retired and tired of Microsoft.
New York State, USA, Earth, and so on and so on.

17:31:00