At 15:33 26/02/2009 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
I'm a touch typist and prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard while writing. To do this efficiently, in emacs and joe I use control-key chords ... I tried to configure OO.o/Writer-3 to use these shortcuts, but failed because there is apparently a limited list that can be assigned to keys.

I don't see a limited list; indeed, the list appears much larger than anything that can be obtained by default using the mouse.

Is there a way for me to assign my preferred shortcuts for use in Writer?

Yes.
o  Go to Tools | Customize... | Keyboard.
o Select the Writer (or OpenOffice.org) radio button at top right, as appropriate. o Under Functions, select first the Category and then the Function you require.
o  Under "Shortcut keys", select the required shortcut.
o  Click Modify.

It looks as if you may be using Linux, in which case I don't know whether the following applies, but under Windows:

... ctrl-a to move to the head of the line, ...

This is at Navigate | To Line Begin.  It is bound to the Home key by default.

... ctrl-e to move to the end, ...

This is at Navigate | To End of Line.  It is bound to the End key by default.

... ctrl-f to move forward one character, ...

This is at Navigate | Go Right.  It is bound to the right-arrow key by default.

... ctrl-b to move back one character, ...

This is at Navigate | To Character Left. It is bound to the left-arrow key by default.

... ctrl-d to delete the character to the right of the point, ...

This is at Edit | Delete Contents. It is bound to the Delete key by default (but for OpenOffice.org, not just Writer).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker