On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:37:33 -0500
Came this utterance formulated by Raymond Smith to my mailbox:

> *Hello. My name is Raymond and I am new to open office. I am unsure
> how to pose my problem in any of the various forums so I hope sending
> this email is the right thing to do.*
> *I have been trying to download an upgrade (to v3) but my dialup keeps
> dropping the call and the download gets stalled. When I restart my
> connection, the download begins back at the beginning. It seems to
> happen after about four hours each time and the download is still
> around 50% or less. I have tried help...but nothing tells me how to
> resume a stalled download. Is it possible to resume or would this be
> something which has never come up before? Is there a workaround...like
> pausing the download before the dialup call gets dropped, restarting
> the connection, and then resuming the download...?? The trick there of
> course would be to catch it before the dialup call gets dropped...*
> *Anyway I hope you can tell me what I can do. Thank you, Raymond *

A couple of options here.

This page on OpenOffice.org recommends some download managers. Download
managers allow you to restart where your download finished. I tried one
GetRight, which came highly recommended but it was intrusive not
transparent and just felt clunky to me:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.2/downloadtools.html

Alternatively you could look at the firefox browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
And if the download manager within firefox does not work better install
this download manager addon to firefox:
This combination is a lot more transparent.

As a further option you could try two alternative methods of obtaining
the program:
Buy it on CD:
http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/index.html#cdrom
Or go to your local internet cafe and download it onto a flashstick
there. CD's and especially floppies are so out of date when you get used
to flash sticks.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416