Robyn wrote:
> I thought this was supposed to work without or instead of office
> works.  I refuse to pay such a large sum (on war widow's pension) for
> a programme that really bugs me ... it takes over everything!
>
> I look forward to hearing from you regards, Robyn Jenkins

Hello Robyn

You are quite right to refuse to pay, OpenOffice.org (OOo) is available
*free* from download.openoffice.org  If someone has wanted to charge you
for it, then you may be being "ripped off." There are people who claim
to offer extra services for OOo and charge for those, but you certainly
don't _have_ to get it from them.

OpenOffice.org can work as a replacement for Microsoft Office and has
good (but not perfect) interoperability with MS Office. It will not open
or save native MS Works  documents, however.

Have a look around on http://www.openoffice.org/ where you will find
lots of good information, and come back to the list if you have any
further questions.

Russell