Dick Hoffman wrote:
This looks so simple I'm obviously overlooking something but I can't figure out what's happening. In OO-Calc V 3.0.0, I'm trying to type the string "DMoines" (without the enclosing quotes)into a cell but it keeps getting changed into "Dmoines", i.e. I can't capitalize the 'M'. I tried some other things and find that if I type "aBCd" into a cell and then try to type "ABCd" into the cell below it, it keeps getting changed to "aBCd" and if I type "EFGh" into a cell and then try to type "EFGH" into the cell below it gets changed to "EFGh". What is causing all this, what's the rationale behind it and how do I get around it?

You have two related but somewhat separate issues here.

1. To avoid DMoines being changed into Dmoines: Go to Tools > Autocorrect > Options, and uncheck "Correct two initial capitals"

2. To avoid the second situation (typing ABCd and having it changed to aBCd if you had previously entered aBCd in that column): Go to Tools > Cell Contents, and click on Autoinput to remove the check mark by it.

Hope this helps.