On 03/23/2009 07:56 PM, Michael Adams wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:04:25 +0000
> Came this utterance formulated by Brian Barker to my mailbox:
>
>> At 14:33 23/03/2009 -0400, Gene Young wrote:
>> >This is a known scam.  Someone spoofs an email, requests monetary
>> >assistance be sent to a particular location and disappears.
>>
>> How right you are!
>>
>> A relevant header reads: X-Originating-IP: [196.3.183.73].  This
>> address appears to be located in Nigeria.  It's blacklisted by
>> spamcop.net, abuseat.org, sorbs.net, and spamhaus.org - amongst
>> others.

>> one time zone east of GMT (UTC) and that he keeps daylight saving
>> time in the northern hemisphere's summer.  Nigeria is one zone east
>> of UTC but - being tropical - does not exercise daylight saving.  So
>> his domicile is unlikely to be Nigeria (but probably central
>> Europe).  Oh, and if (as he once told) he uses the English (UK)
>> version of OpenOffice, he would probably use British rather than US
>> spelling: thus "travelling" instead of "traveling" and possibly even
>> "programme" instead of "program".
>>
>> As you suggest, it's not our friend who has sent this message. but
>> instead a scammer.
>>

> Then he must have access to our friends hotmail account. How else will
> he pursue the transaction?

Agree. Joe's previous posts come from a Malta IP, so it's quite likely
that his email account has been compromised and is toast. Looks like the
spam IP has been pretty active:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=196.3.183.73&btnG=Search>

Someone should just turn off all internet access for Nigeria:
$ whois 196.3.183.73
inetnum:        196.3.183.0 - 196.3.183.255
netname:        SubTel2
descr:          Suburban telecom is an IP Wholesale Provider
country:        NG
admin-c:        LO1-AFRINIC
tech-c:         Oa13-AFRINIC
status:         ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by:         SUBURBAN-MNT
source:         AFRINIC # Filtered
parent:         196.3.180.0 - 196.3.183.255
person:       Ladi Okuyene
address:      B2 Broadband Ltd.
              Wuse II postoffice,
              PO Box, 13235,