Thanks Suzanne. But what I need to know is how (the steps involved in) to
make OOo make my document number the titles in the following manner:
Each chapter has 4 levels of titles;
first, chapter title (for example 2) but the number here should not appear
second level (2.1   2.2    2.3  ...etc)
third level (2.1.1   2.1.2 ....)
fouth (2.1.1.1 .....)
I am now typing these numbers manually but I know that OOo has a way to auto
number the titles. I just dont know how to do that.
Normally (in much smaller lists) I select the required lines and press the
(Numbering On/Off) button, then using Format>Bullets and Numbering>layout I
usually get the needed result. But in this long document (I'm working on
now) I wasnt successful.

--
Bashar Maree