From: H.S. <hs.sa...@gmail.com>
Subject: [users] Re: Numbering layered headings
To: users@openoffice.org
Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 6:31 PM

Hello,

Bashar Maree wrote:
> Thanks Suzanne. But what I need to know is how (the steps involved in) to
> make OOo make my document number the titles in the following manner:
> Each chapter has 4 levels of titles;
> first, chapter title (for example 2) but the number here should not appear
> second level (2.1   2.2    2.3  ...etc)
> third level (2.1.1   2.1.2 ....)
> fouth (2.1.1.1 .....)

In document processing, these levels are called headings or section. For
example, in OOo they are called Headings and in LaTeX they are called
Sections.

OOo has built in Headings and their format is called the heading style.

In your scheme, you want something like this:
Heading 1 for chapters
Heading 2 for sections/first level headings
Heading 3 for subsections/second level headings
Heading 4 for subsubsections/third level headings
Heading 5 for subsubsubsections/fourth level headings.

OOo has default formatting and numbering for all these styles. For now,
just ignore that, it can easily be fixed later.

To try it out:
1. Type the chapter title you want (just the text, no numbers).
2. Click on that chapter title line, then click on the top left menu
area where it shows the style of that line (should show "Default"). It
will drop down a list of styles. Choose Heading 1 from there. The
chapter title line will be Heading 1 then.
3. Click Enter and continue typing the chapter matter.
4. When you want a section heading, just type it in and select its style
from the Style drop down menu as Heading 2 and continue the text in the
next line.

You, as you can see, all you need to do is use styles. Later on, should
you decide to change the format a particular style (of Heading 1, or of
Heading 2, etc.), it can be done from Styles... dialog from Format. That
change then applies to the whole document. Quite neat, working with styles!

I personally create a new style called Chapter Title and apply that
style to all chapter titles. Heading 1 I keep for first level sections,
Heading 2 for second level sections and so on.

Keep in mind that it is unusual to have more than 4 or 5 levels of
headings in a document, and even within these, only the first 3 or 4 are
actually numbered.

With this little intro, I would suggest you search google on how to
write a long document in OOo, or who to structure a document, with
styles and headings.

Regards.

ever having been read.