Normally I never save to anything but ODF or PDF, but I am doing one
thing, just for once, for a guy I know who is an absolute computer
idiot so I can hardly ask him to install something, no matter how easy
it seems to be.

So I need to save as Microsoft Word.

The files I am going to do for him are made by me years ago in Word,
but these days I don't use Word anymore for several reason, one of
them is that I haven't found the Linux version…

Let's look at my problem:

I open the old doc files, which is originally created in Word '97 or
Word 2000, not sure about that though, modify them and save them using
Save As. I save them with the same name but in a different folder,
using the Word format. Among other things the document contains a
logotype which is partially transparent. When opening the newly saved
file, the tranparense is gone and replaced by white which is not good
since the background behind the logotype is not white.

Is there a workaround for this, other than saving in another format?

I tried the PDF format once but this guy is so incredibly stupid (with
computers) so he couldn't just make it right when printing it out… It
was either misplaced on the paper or zoomed in or out and he just
didn't understand anything I tried to explain, so I just gave it up.
For some strange reason he seems to be able to handle Word a bit, so I
figure that's the easiest solution… Even if I actually visit him at
home and ”educate” him, five minutes later he will still understand
absolutely nothing. Some people are just not interested in learning
new things, they just want their job done…

J.R.