Victor Gigante-Hueber wrote:

> I'm not entirely certain that this is the right place to send this,
> but here goes.
>
> I've been using OpenOffice.org for the past two years or so as a
> free alternative to M$ Office, which is much to expensive for me
> (and from what I've heard, much too confusing to use). However, a
> few of my friends use WordPerfect Suite 8 because they prefer a
> commercial product and happen to also not have enough money to buy
> anything newer (not that I haven't tried to convert them to OOo).
> I keep asking them to send me their documents in RTF format or
> another, but they always forget and send me things in WPD format.
> Here's my question: Can OOo open WPDs? I think I read somewhere on
> this list that it could, but only with external document filters
> (I may not be remembering the terminology used correctly). If this
> is the case, where could I acquire those filters?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Victor

I notice that a few people have helped you with this, I would actually
encourage you to simply keep telling them to use rtf, not just for
you, but for their own good. One day they will probably switch to
OpenOffice or MSOffice or something else - they'll make their life
easier by getting used to using RTF more often. You can read my
arguments on this in an article I'm still writing... :
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_future_proof_electronic_information#Text_.26_Documents

Duncan