Web Kracked wrote:
John Boyle wrote:
Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
<SNIP>
I hope that by the time MSFT drops support
for Win XP altogether, MAYBE then there will be a really usable version
of LINUX, but until then I am stuck with Windows! :-(

Sounds like that guru was a guru of the windbag type.  If it was
not installed on the same type of system he has or deals with, he
might not know how to figure out the problems.

My teachers/professors made sure every one in the Network Technology
degree program learned Linux.  Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSe.  They
know that Linux ruled the Internet server market.  They also knew
that if you only knew Windows, you would not be able to do all that
is needed in the field.  That was over 10 years ago since I last
took a Linux class.

Do anyone remember Lindows - the Windows-like Linux OS software.
Gone and not soon enough.  If you want a Linux that works like
Windows, you will get something that is as bad as Windows.
Lindows is not gone. Under impetus of an MS law suit over the name, which they could have won, they changed their name. I am guessing it was to get cash from MS. They also gave up the "Runs Windows software" part of their claim (never implemented) that Lindows "Runs both Windows and MS software", changed the name, and concentrated on Linux software.

I tried it way back when but didn't much like it. I went back to Debian Linux and Windows, because my wife needed me to support her Windows system.

Now Linux GUI needs processor power like Windows does, at least the
last version I tried.

XP support has ended or will be in a month or two.
If you mean free bug fixes, yes, that ends sometime this month. But the security patches will continue for quite a long time. The date 2014 sticks in my memory. It hasn't been that long since they stopped '98 security fixes.

Linux never had that type of support, since there are many flavors to Linux.
Each one needs people who know it well enough to teach others,
who will teach others, etc., etc., etc..
There have always been security fixes from every flavor I know about. There are mailing lists like this one, and many commercial outfits that will support various flavors of Linux. In my experience, the no support is good.

There are far too many Linux variants, but most are based on Red Hat, Debian, or SlackWare. Somebody tell me the ones I'm missing, please.

Also, until developers give you the needed drivers with the new
hardware, it will take time for people to want to use Linux, or
could use Linux with the new printers, cameras, scanners, webcams,
and all the things we want to have.  I could not find a driver
for a 3 year old printer, let alone a new one.
Drivers can be a problem, but there is a Linux Hardware Compatibility list. If I buy hardware, I consult that list before I leave home or visit a web site to shop. I have not been disappointed, but my needs are few.

Windows Drivers are a not a snap either. I have heard finding drivers for Vista is not a snap. See http://www.paretologic.com/ and fetch DriverCure to see what updated drivers are needed on your system.

Maybe one day.  Hopefully the next Windows version will help
get more developers to add Linux drivers to their products.
UNLESS MS tells them if they do, then their products will not
be allowed to be supported in Windows.

Well enough of some bad thoughts.

MS rules - for now, but not for too much longer hopefully.
Yea! I do hope you are right.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague
Double Bass in Fifths Tuning
Principal Double Bass the Blue Ridge Orchestra, Asheville NC.