I have had this situation myself for years and have solved it in
various ways.

When all else has failed, I've used my digital camera to
photograph a document and save it as either a TIFF or BMP file, both of
which my OCR software can read from a file.  At least, I've had a copy
of what it's supposed to look like, if I have to reconstruct it.I've also found
that by increasing the size and/or increasing the contrast on a scanned file
renders a better result.  This involvs another step involving your photo
editing software.
Have you tried looking in your folder for your OCR software and looking for an
.INI or .INF file?  Sometimes, the direction to open MS Word is located there
and can be edited to direct the opening of OpenOffice for scanned files.  There
may also be some hidden places in your OCR folder that refer to MS Word.  Using
Windows Search, making sure to check for hidden files, look for "word."
Depending on what versions of everything you are using, you may also want to
check for "winwrite" without the quotes.Another suggestion is for you to go to
My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types and make sure that .DOC files
are to be opened (associated) with Oo Swriter.  The Advanced tab will provide
you with more options.

HTH

Suzanne L. Perry