On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:17:10 +0300
Came this utterance formulated by Dotan Cohen to my mailbox:

> I found this terrific document onf the microsoft site which answers a
> rather FAQ regarding ODTsuitability:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA102835631033.aspx
>
> Note that this document compares ODT with DOCX, not OOo with MSO.

No, it doesn't. It claims to, then shows which Microsoft Word features
can be saved, partially saved, or not saved in ODT format. In short, it
compares Word with ODT (One a program and one a file format).
First, remember that Microsoft Word DOCX is not OOXML or ECMA 376 but a
prerelease of these formats. Note also that this document does not claim
OOXML compatability as Word 2007 does not have any. One further thing i
will point out is that OOXML compatibility is not expected till the next
version of Office is released. However it may be impossible in the
future to tell if one is dealing with a Microsoft Office 2007 XML
document, an ECMA 376-1 or an ECMA 376-2 - ISO/IEC 26500:2008 document
as no document version identifier exists within the three save formats
yet. My conclusion is saving anything in Microsoft Office XML formats is
stupid at present.

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
http://idippedut.dk/post/2009/02/06/Versioning-of-OOXML-(thank-you-for-all-the-fish).aspx

As for the article, each program utilises different abilities in each
save format. Each version of Office extended the Microsoft binary
formats as features were added. I wonder how many of the features quoted
can be Opened by Office 97 and 2000 from an Office 2007 DOC save file?
In other words what they are really trying to say without, actually
saying it is that Office 2007 DOCX is more tightly integrated with Word
that ODT - Well duh! They were designed together to support each other.
Many programs have been made to support ODF as the default format - not
just one. The fact that the existing DOCX format won't really exist much
beyond Word 2007 should have a bearing in the save choice one makes.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416