Greetings;

Fedora 10 system, quad core phenom, 4Gb ram, yadda yadda.

I have for the last 3 or 4 versions of fedora I'm running, gone to the Ooo
site and downloaded and installed the real thing, so as to miss the icedtea
debacle that fedora has been telling was the real koolaid.

Now it refuses to run from the kde 'Office3' menu, and I just verified that
all links do point to the correct 'swriter' etc pieces.

But the dancing cursor just times out.  I am running a fresh updatedb, so I
can attempt to run from the cli & see what errors might fall out.  I just
updated to kde-4.2.2 2 or 3 days ago and rebooted.

Here is the error:

[r...@coyote /]# /opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared
libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Running that down as to where it might be, I found there was no file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d for openoffice, so I did this:
--------------------
[r...@coyote /] cd /etc/ld.so.conf.d
[r...@coyote ld.so.conf.d] echo /usr/lib/openoffice.org/ure/lib >openoffice-
ure.conf
[r...@coyote ld.so.conf.d] ldconfig -v|less
--------------------------
and it was then listed.  And:
[r...@coyote /]# /opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter
now works.

This it would appear is a packaging problem, this file should have been
created, and ldconfig ran by the installer.  FWIW, before I did this, I
had nuked it all (in /opt) and had yumex remove it all, then reinstalled
using yumex, didn't work, removed it, installed your tar.gz and that didn't
work either.

Please see that this packaging error is passed upstream so that it may be
fixed in the next release.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)