On 6/6/05, Eric S. Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> > Before a user edits a document, they should  enable change tracking Edit
> > | Changes | Record. You can view  all of the changes inline using Edit |
> > Changes | Show. You can then individually accept or reject any change,
> > you can know who made the change, and you will know when the change was
> > made.
>
> I had figured that out pretty much on my own.  If I understand it
> correctly, this creates a star relationship between content creator and
> reviewers.  Ideally, one would have an incrementally updated star so
> that changes would be visible to all reviewers and each change would be
> identified by reviewer.  Failing that, a simple ring model where the
> document passes from reviewer to reviewer or from storage to reviewer
> and back to storage.
>
> by the way, requiring each user to individually enable tracking changes
> is quite error prone.  The document creator should be up to set track
> changes in the master document before sending out for review.
>
> there also should be away for people to scribble notes that isn't
> incorporated in the body changes.

What you're asking for sounds like something more commonly addresses
with workflow software (eg Lotus Notes/Domino) and Content Management
Systems (mambo?) than with office productivity software.

I used to program for Domino and setting up something for version
tracking like this would be pretty trivial. But Domino is expensive
and the admin requirements are far from trivial. Probably, though, you
could get a talented php/MySQL person to do it fairly inexpensively,
if there isn't already something out there that works. Personally, I
would look at all the cool open-source and free CMS's like mambo and
Drupal, to see if they can do it or can be configured to do it.