Just some random thoughts:  Have you tried any brute force approaches?

I have heard there exists aprogram called something like dexml that strips xml markup from a file (can't get online at this moment to search for it.)

That failing, there is always the LInux strings command (versions should also be available for windows and probably for Mac - I even wrote a simple one many years ago that ran on CP/M). It can extract all character strings of a specified minimum length from any file. It can stream them all together (good for a quick look at a binary file to see text strings that give you clues about what it does or where it came from) or it can put out one string per line. If that gets you remotely usable output, you can then run it through your favorite programming language to further clean it up. Awk (available for for several platforms - probably Mac) is particularly well suited to such tasks and pretty easy to use once you grasp it initially. I'm sure perl ... would work as well, but might involve a steeper learning curve.

HTH

Joe