I created a database with two tables. The purpose of this database is to monitor what supplies (SUPPLIES table) were given to who (CLIENT table), when they were given, and how many. I hope I have my structure correct, but if there;s any room for improvement, it would be more than welcome.

Basically, what I want to happen is:

- client approaches staff and asks for supply
- staff enters ID number and if
- client already has an entry in database, staff just adds the new supplies the client needs which goes to the SUPPLIES table - client is not in database, staff creates a new entry in the CLIENT table and enters supplies given accordingly.

For the CLIENT table i have the following fields: ID, FirstName, LastName. For the SUPPLIES table, I have: ID, Date Given, Item, Quantity.

I've set the ID as primary key in the CLIENT table, and made a relationship between the corresponding fields in the CLIENT and SUPPLY tables.

I created a form using the wizard and set the SUPPLY as a sub-form of the main form which uses the fields of the CLIENT table (e.g. ID, FirstName, LastName). Now when I enter data in the ID, say 1234, if there is an existing entry under the Supplies table that is associated with the primary key, in this case, ID in the CLIENT table, the items show up on the form.

What I would like to happen is to have the FirstName and LastName show up as well when an existing ID is entered in the form that is already existing in the CLIENT table. It's kinda like a search form, that tells you when there is an existing entry already. Do i need to create a separate table that will duplicate the FirstName and LastName fields so that they show up when an existing ID in entered? Or should there be a separate form to do "searching" and another one to enter new data?

One of the many problems is that when the form is opened, it is placed on the first entry so that the user enters an ID that is already existing, it does show up the corresponding entries in the SUPPLIES table, but the action is treated as trying to replace the primary key in the CLIENT table, which is the ID. I encounter errors here. I wonder how I can get around this.

I hope someone could help me out as I've never had the need to create a database, hence, I have limited understanding of how to properly structure tables and fields, when there is a need to create new tables and establish new relationships - not to mention that the more complex tasks like macros and some programming. Thanks in advance!