On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:49:58 -0700
Came this utterance formulated by First Last to my mailbox:

> I want to insert a string into a cell using keystrokes. I'm sorry this
> will seem overdone, but I want people to know I've tried to research
> this on my own.
>
> I'm using Open Office 3.0-r14320, I use PCLinuxOS and this version of
> Open Office came from the PCLinuxOS repository. For some reason, there
> are no Open Office help files installed (in Calc, F1 creates error).
>
> The string I want to insert is the current date, this is a static
> number. I don't want the date() function, nor do I want the time()
> function, nor do I want any other function which will change when F9
> is pressed. I also do not wish to 'work around' by pasting a function
> then later copy and paste the value of the cell over the function. I
> do not want to use nor do I want to create a 'Macro'. I'm not asking
> 'how do I change the format of the current (or any other) cell'.

You have a couple of options.

First you can use "=today()" in the cell but this will update
automatically. Not quite what is desired.

Second you can type the date in according to your locale settings,
probably "14/5/09" or "5/14/09". This will remain fixed because it
saves as a number. Note no equals sign.

Most complex is probably a macro which would take a "=today()" and copy
and paste the content - not the formula of the cell. The beauty of a
macro is it may be set up on a toolbar or a keyboard shortcut as
desired.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416