On Wed, 20 May 2009 07:12:51 +1200
Came this utterance formulated by Michael Adams to my mailbox:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:22:38 -0400
> Came this utterance formulated by H.S. to my mailbox:
>
> > Just saw this over at slashdot:
> > "MS Word 2010 Takes On TeX"
> > http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/19/1556203
> >

> > I am not what is the status of ligatures and other advanced
> > typographic features in OOo, but at least till version 3.0, they
> > were not supported. I guess OOo better start working on it right
> > away to steal all the thunder and awe from this upcoming features in
> > MSO. If OOo beasts MSO in this, it would such a coup!
> >
> > Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't OOo supports ligatures and
> > glyphs at present without any kludges, does it?
> >

> There are very few ligatures supported by Unicode. The issue is that
> text readers cannot decipher ligatures outside Unicode, this makes
> them unsuitable for the web. To be honest, very few people have any
> interest in ligatures these days. They were an advantage to the manual
> typesetter in that he could reduce the number of lead slugs required
> and increase the number of words per line occasionally. As to the
> aesthetics of them, [shrug].

I may have come across as a little harsh here; that was not my intent -
brevity sometimes does that. What i was meaning was that a majority of
people see no practical gain from ligatures, and in fact probably less
than 25% even know what they are. They are a cosmetic that can actually
be a problem in normal use. How do you spell check them? How many fonts
support them?

Anyway the site for Feature Requests is:
http://qa.openoffice.org/
Feature requests or RFE's (Requests For Enhancements) are grouped with
bug-fixes which both require developer time and effort. I would think
that given the current list combined with recent upheaval at Sun, this
would come way down.

Further, discussions of this type should really take place on the
discuss list.
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416