At 16:08 04/06/2009 +0530, Inbaraj Sammanasunathan wrote:
I recently got openoffice installed in my machine I cannot open Microsoft Office files directly by double clicking. When I double click, I get the "Save As" window. Instead, I must right click and use the "open with" option and select the appropriate Open Office app. Why is this?

Possibly because you installed the freeware Microsoft viewers for Microsoft Office document files (maybe even at my suggestion!). The Save As window you are seeing is from the viewer, I think, not from OpenOffice, and the viewer is offering to do some conversion to the document for you. When I installed the Powerpoint viewer, for example, (or possibly when I applied some update to it?), the .ppt extension became associated with Microsoft Open XML Converter instead of with Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer.

If you have these viewers, you must be using Windows, I think. If so, right-click a sample file (of each relevant type) and select Open With > | Choose Program... . Tick the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box, and then choose the appropriate viewer (as I would) or the appropriate OpenOffice component (if you prefer). (These details are for Windows XP; other versions will be similar but perhaps different.)

This proves especially annoying when trying to open email attachments. They must first be saved and then right clicked to be opened adding several more steps to what was a simple process.

If you wanted to edit the file, you certainly would want to save the file somewhere safe first, so you must be talking here about wanting just to display and perhaps print a document; this is why I suggest associating the extension with the viewer, not with OpenOffice. But that is your choice, if course.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker