So one obvious, but not very generic solution was to realize that the
data always starts with the value 1 in cell A3, so =MAX(A3:A10000)
returns the highest value and I can add 2 to that to get the row
address.

I'd rather find a more interesting and generic solution to this though
as I don't always have a value incrementing in the first column.

Thanks,
Mark