Mark,

That can be a challenge, if you don't know how to do it.  If you are using
Windows, any flavor, hit PRT SCRN, which will capture the entire visible
desktop to the clipboard.  Then open any graphics program, even MS Paint, and
cut out the part you want to use (copy it). Hit FILE>NEW. When the new
page opens, PASTE to the new document.  You can then save it to any graphics
format available in your graphics software you are using.

If you're not using Windows, then you can use the software that came with your
digital camera, if you have one, and use their CAPTURE feature, if
available.

If nothing else, you can copy what you want from OpenOffice and paste it into
any graphics program, then save in your desired graphics format. Open the DRAW
toolbar from the VIEW menu, click on toolbars to access.  On the DRAW toolbar,
select the ARROW, which will allow you to select a square of what you want to
capture.  You select the square by left clicking (in Windows) on the lower
right hand corner point and dragging the mouse to the upper left corner.  You
will see an outline of a square around what will be captured.  Then, right
click on the area selected and left click on COPY.  Once again, open a graphics
program and hit PASTE.  If your original selection is not quite what you
wanted, simply repeat.  Each left click of the mouse will restart the process.

Though I haven't tried it in every operating system, the OpenOffice portion of
my instructions should work with any operating system where OpenOffice is in
working order.  In OpenOffice, you can also open a new DRAWING and paste your
copied material there and save it in one of the available formats.  If none of
those formats is what you want or need, then use another graphics program.

HTH

Suzanne L. Perry