Richard Detwiler wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

I have used OOo since before it was OOo. I have not lost data due to the software in any case.

As for data in spreadsheets. I don't agree with using information on users being stored in a spreadsheet. It isn't what it was designed for. It makes it to easy for a simple user error to make a mistake and corrupt the data.

I'm a bit confused by the statement about how information on users shouldn't be stored in a spreadsheet, because it is so easy to corrupt the data.

Does this suggest that the only information that should be put in a spreadsheet is data where it doesn't matter if it gets corrupted?

If so, that would significantly reduce the usefulness of spreadsheets.

I assume there is some key point that I'm missing, so please enlighten .... thanks.

Basically a database is for storing and retrieving information. A spreadsheet is primarily for performing calculations on data. In common usage, people have come to use spreadsheets to store information because the learning curve is much shallower than learning to work with a database.
--
Gene Y.