On 2009-08-16 03:23 Brian Barker wrote:
At 01:09 16/08/2009 -0400, Eustace Fril wrote:
1. I am using 8.5"x11" paper with 1" borders.
2. I create a table and set the row height to 9" so the table will include the whole writing area of the page. 3. Since I want center the text in the page I rightclick inside the table and select Cell > Center.
4. Now I create a second table inside the first one.
5. Since I want to do this on several pages, I click inside the first table just under the small one and click Table > Select > Table. The whole full page table is selected.
6. I click Ctrl+C to copy the table.
7. I click at the beginning of the second page and press Ctrl+v expecting to copy the page 1 table to page 2. 8. The result however is that the page 1 table is pasted on page 3, while page 2 is blank. 9. I can see no way of deleting page 2 or the page break that should be somewhere between the 2 full-page tables. 10. How can I delete page 2 so that the table of page 3 will be immediately after that of page 1 without gap? Or, better still, how can I paste the table on page 2 directly?

If you go to View | Nonprinting Characters, I think you will see what is happening. It appears that you cannot have a table or tables as the last item in your document: there has to be some text after, so your single table will be followed by an empty text area, witnessed by the trailing paragraph mark that you will now see. Since your table fills the page, this text appears on the next page. Indeed, it is only because of this that the second page exists before you try to paste your table into it.

When you paste your table, it cannot fit into page 2 along with the rogue empty paragraph, so it flows onto page 3. (There is no explicit page break.) After you have pasted your table, just put the cursor into page 2 and press Delete: this deletes the empty paragraph and should bring your second table back to page 2.

If your document consists only of these tables, you will still be left with a trailing blank page. I don't know any way to suppress this, only to hide it. In your case, a simple solution would be to reduce the bottom page margin slightly, so as to make room for the rogue element. Your table can retain the size and position that you intend, so the final printout is unaffected. You can reduce the height of the empty paragraph by reducing the size of its (non-existent) text - to as little as 2 points, in fact. You could do this just for the last page or for all pages, in fact.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Thanks. The final trailing blank page doesn't bother me very much, the major issue was to get rid of the blank pages between the tables... Is there, though, a regular expression to use to get rid of all of them at a single stroke?

emf

--
It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html