2009/8/12 Marcus Diogo <mvdiog...@gmail.com>

> Some more information about the issue.
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssSoftware/idUSBNG53920620090812
> The judgment also permanently enjoins Microsoft from selling any
> products that can open a .XML, .DOCX or .DOCM file containing custom
> XML.
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE54J72V20090520
>
> Marcus
>

> 2009/8/12 M Henri Day <mhenri...@gmail.com>:
> > 2009/8/12 Gary Copcutt <jen...@internode.on.net>
> >
> >> For all of the users out there who want to keep using OpenOffice but are
> >> receiving .docx files.

<snip>

>  >>
> >> Fight for open standards and freedom.
> >>
> >> GaryC
> >

> > Gary, you may not have seen the news that a US District Court has ruled
> in
> > favour of a small Canadian firm known as i4i, that sued Microsoft for
> patent
> > infringement with regard to XML. Naturally enough, given the depth of
> > Microsoft's pockets, the case is far from over, but I can't help thinking
> > that «'tis the sport to have the enginer hoist with his owne petar» For
> more
> > on this matter, check out this Seattlepi blog* *(
> > http://preview.tinyurl.com/npmmlc )....
> >
> > Henri

I've seen speculation on other threads on this forum as to whether the
claims that have been lodged by i4i against Microsoft regarding patent
infringement relating to the handling of XML files might not also be lodged
against OpenOffice. If this report (http://preview.tinyurl.com/nhz6jg ),
published under the title «Federal future cloudy for Microsoft Word» (open
page 2) is correct, that would not seem to be the case : «i4i said it has
looked at OpenOffice and found it doesn’t infringe on its patents»....

Henri