2009/9/1 Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>

>   After years of installing OOo on my Toshiba Tablet, all of a sudden it
> will not allow me to install version 3.1.1. When I run the installer it
> extracts the files then tries to start the install and fails with a pop up
> saying  "the system administrator has set policies to prohibit this
> installation." Now this is a little confusing since I am a the system
> administrator and I know I didn't set any policies. The following is what I
> have tried.
>
>  1. re-downloaded the install file from OpenOffice.org
>  2. Turned off Comodo Security Suite and tried to install
>  3. Rolled back Windows via System Restore and tried install
>  4. As best as my limited knowledge allowed checked for any software
>     install restriction policies. Was able to find none.
>
>   I am at my wits end as to what to do with this. Any suggestions, guesses,
> or  augury readings as to what to try next to overcome this are greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Keith M^c Kenna
>

> Three things:
1. Are you loggged in as an Administrator of the Windows system? I think you
need to be.
2. Before starting the installation, did you exit the [old version's]
Quickstarter? You do need to.
3. Have you tried Microsoft's Wndows Installer Cleanup Utility? It's free at
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301>and is designed to fix
problems caused by Microsoft's un/installer software.
I think that to use it you should remove any installation of OOo using
Add/Remove Software, then run the utility to clean out any vestigial traces
of OOo and then try the installation again.

1 & 2 are probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs; apologies if so.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England