Larry

You ask: What are Lightening? What is Sunbird?

Both these tools provide a calendar facility. Lightening is an add-on to Thunderbird that provides a calendar tool. Sunbird is a stand-alone program that provides a calendar tool.

You can follow this link for Frequently Asked Questions and answers about these:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html

After you have read this FAQ web site you may be able to decide on which you like. I am repeating the download link from that others have posted where you can download the one of the two calendars.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

If you still can't decide, try the Lightening calendar add-on for Thunderbird. If you don't like it, you can uninstall it and try Sunbird.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague