So I guess you are running OpenOffice.org on some GNU/Linux distro? Which one?

If you have Ubuntu (and I think this this applies to many other
distros as well), Times New Roman is not installed by default,
probably since it's not a free font, or something like that. You can
install it from one of the repos by opening Synaptic and search for
msttcorefonts (MicroSoft TrueType CORE FONTS). This package contains
some of the most common Microsoft True Type fonts, like Arial, Times
New Roman, Tahoma, Courier New, Comic Sans etc. Note that Arial Narrow
is NOT available, for instance.

Personally I avoid those fonts as much as possible. I did some
testings and found that Free Sans looks a lot more like Arial than
DejaVu Sans. The latter have wider characters, but Free Sans seems to
be exactly yhe same width as Arial, EXCEPT for numbers (and maybe
other non alphabetical characters). Free Serif should be pretty
compatible to Times New Roman and Free mono could perharps replace
Courier New.

Anyway, if a font is missing and the original document was created
with it, the font listbox will still display that fonts name, but
another font is selected, hopefully a similar font.

Johnny Rosenberg