James E. Lang wrote:
I have a five sheet spreadsheet. The contents of the first (1st) and
second (2nd) of the sheets are neither used nor changed in any manner
in this task.

I receive a text file as an attachment to an e-mail at least once a
week. The text file contains updated integer and date information for
the third (3rd) and fifth (5th) sheets. I can rather easily fully
automate everything that does not directly involve the spreadsheet. My
problem is how to get calc to automatically accept input data, perform
the spreadsheet update, print the defined print ranges in the third
(3rd) and fourth (4th) sheets, and save the updated spreadsheet. There
is data to be printed from both the 3rd and 4th sheets that is
calculated using the updated information.
My
questions are:
1.  Does "updating" mean replacing the data in sheets 3 and 5, or adding
data to sheets 3 and 5?
replacing
2. Do the print ranges need to be redefined each time, or do they remain
predefined?
no
I assume "no" means that the print ranges DO NOT need to be redefined each time. That certainly simplifies the task.
3.  After you've responded to  these questions, if it looks to me like I
might have something to offer, would you be able to provide a copy of the
spreadsheet file and an email sample ('sanitized' if anything
confidential or proprietary is involved)?
yes
I guess the next step then is for you to send the sample files directly to my email address, daughe...@ku.edu, and not through a reply to the list, since normally attached files are stripped befores replies are distributed to the list membership. (I am a regular list subscriber, in case there was some confusion on that point.) I'll look at them and see if my ideas can be applied to your need.
Don