After downloading software, you need to install it before it can be used. You should download software to a particular location, like your desktop or your Documents folder, so you can easily locate them. It sounds like you downloaded the installer, but didn't actually install the program. If so, use the spotlight feature (the blue magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of your desktop) to search for something like OOo_3.1.1_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg (see below).

When you download the OOO package from the web on a Mac, you should have an installation program which ends with a .dmg extension (OOo_3.1.1_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg). Double-click this file and it will "mount" as a disk image on the Mac desktop. It also should automatically open a window which displays an OpenOffice.org icon and another icon for your Applications folder. Simply drag the OpenOffice.org icon and drop it on the Applications icon. The software will then install in your Applications folder. This is the standard way programs are installed in OS X.

After installation, you can launch OpenOffice by navigating to your Applications folder and double clicking the OpenOffice icon.

If you need more assistance, let us know.

I am new to Open Office and to macbook. I downloaded Open Office yesterday. When I went to use it today, I could not find it.

What did I do wrong?

user ID: nwkrug