The expected solution is a paragraph style specifically for the list items. In fact, I worked with one publisher that used three list styles. They were something like _list_first_row, _list_last_row, _list_inner_rows

The reasoning is that you may desire extra space before or after the list, but not inside the list.

So Barbara, your solution strikes me as the preferred solution for OOo.