James Knott wrote:
Helene Bigler wrote:
Dear Support Team:
I am absolutely petrified to change from Word / Excel on Vista to your open office. However, even though I purchased my computer with Windows Word / Excel already installed about a year ago, it seems it has decided my 'license' is no good and unless I spend some $300 + I can't use it without going thru a rigmarole of tabs, pop-ups and other assorted garbage to access it! Thus.....YOU were recommended to me. Can I keep all the files I already have on this now non-licensed Word? Will downloading you simply 'transfer' my information to you? HELP! I don't want to loose anything - I am petrified! If I go into remove files to remove Windows Word/Excel will I do. . . what? Damage my files? Loose info? ????
I can type, but I am not totally literate in computereze.

You've just experienced Microsoft's attempts to trap a customer.  They
let you use Microsoft Office apps long enough to create some documents,
then they shut down the software until you cough up the ransom on your
documents.  Fortunately OpenOffice.org comes to the rescue.  It can read
& write most Microsoft Office files.  If you wish, it can create
OpenDocument versions of your documents, but never deletes the
originals.  You will not lose your originals by using OpenOffice.org,
but it is always a good idea to make backups of your documents as a
regular practice.  You can get OpenOffice.org for free from
www.openoffice.org.  You are free to install & use it on as many
computers as you wish and also are encouraged to pass it around to others.

While this is true, there may be some caveats when it comes to certain features such as macros.