All,

I've inherited a document that was created in an earlier version of Word
(pre-2007). I'm trying to sort out reference links as they appear when I open
the document in OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP.

In several places, the title numbers/prefixes of Chapters and some major
headings are captured by reference - for example, there's a document overview
before the first chapter that describes/summarizes each chapter and appendix in
a brief paragraph.

In Word, these appear as:

Chapter 1 - the blurb about this chapter.

Chapter 2 - the blurb about that chapter.

Chapter 3 - the blurb about this other chapter.

Appendix A - the blurb about this appendix.

Appendix B - the blurb about that appendix.

The "Chapter 1" or the "Appendix A" are bolded.  In Word, the user/reader can
Control-click the "Chapter 2" (or whatever) to jump directly to the first page
of the target chapter (or appendix).

HOWEVER, in OOo 3.1.1 on Windows XP Pro x64, what I get instead is:

[] - the blurb about this chapter.

[] - the blurb about that chapter.

[] - the blurb about this other chapter.

[A] - the blurb about this appendix.

[B] - the blurb about that appendix.

The "Chapter 1" items do not appear - in my example above, the [] represents
the gray shaded rectangle that indicates a reference link, but there are no
characters inside the gray.
For the "Appendix A" items, just the LETTER appears, bolded, in a gray shaded
area - the word "Appendix" is missing.
I can click those gray areas (no Control key necessary) to jump immediately to
the associated page.

In OOo, if I'm on the page that has the reference link targets (like the first
page of Chapter 4), I can see a shaded spot following the chapter heading, but:

a) I can't select it
b) if I get the cursor in or near it, the  menu item  Edit > Fields... is
grayed out for me.

So, I don't know how to edit these references that were created in Word, nor
how to make more of them if needed.

Where's a good place to start looking?  I would like the reference targets
throughout the document to propagate much as they do in Word. I don't know
specifically how the Word doc captures just the numbering of each reference
without also capturing the text of it... but since the original author did it
that way, I figure I might as well continue if it's easy to reproduce in OOo.
Most of my work these days is in a Help authoring tool or in FrameMaker, so I
don't use either Word or OOo that much, but I prefer OOo when necessary.

Thanks,

Kevin

or disclosing it.