At 17:03 27/10/2009 -0400, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
Windoze XP and OOo 3.1.1.

I have a Word document. It's about 230 pages long. It has footers on every page. Nothing in the footer except the page number. Around about page 119, the footer stopped showing the page number. I am showing Non-printing characters, Hidden paragraphs, and Field Names. I don't see anything that says "manual page break" on it.

If there is a manual page break - as there very probably is - there will be a dark blue line along the top of the text area of the first page following the break. These lines are pretty invisible unless you are used to looking for them.

How to find where/why the footer stopped containing the page-number field?

You've already said it happens "around about page 119": just examine the document and see. See the blue line at the top of the page? Why? Because the page style changed.

How to make it resume containing the page number?

Various ways, according to needs:

o  Apply the page style of the first part to the later parts of the document.

o Modify the page style of the later part to include page numbers - most easily by simply using Insert | Fields > | Page Number - and formatting appropriately.

o Remove the manual page break by putting the cursor in front of the very first character on the first rogue page and pressing Backspace.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker