Ok guys, thanks for your replies.  Maybe it is my fault - I should explain
better.  So here goes.  BTW this is not the first time I am using Calc but
in previous editions.

The item I was searching for was in the column under 'Subject' cos i made
sure it is there and therefore I chose one which was.  I selected the whole
column to make sure and not sensitive to nothing.  I tried both formulas and
values... If sending the prog in question helps I will willingly oblige.

The OS is Windows XP Pro.

Joe

PS I registered twice but nothing materialized [?]  No  replies nothing...