Hi Andrew,

In a message dated 2009.11.06 02:44 -0500, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

I feel like I see this question off and on...

:-) !

According to the OO documentation ("Working with Graphics"), any picture inside a frame should have "To Frame" among its Anchor options.

That sounds WRONG.

Well, I was only quoting the documentation, which was actually /right/ - for /half/ the pictures in my document. [How bizarre is that?! Bizarre enough to post a question about. ;-) ]

I can think of no particular reason that an image inside of a frame
should be anchored to the frame. I assume, however, that it must be
anchored either to the frame, or to something in that frame. If not,
well, then it is not really in the frame.

OK... but then look at what happens:
 1. Insert picture.
 2. Add caption, which causes:
 3. Automatically add frame, and now the possible picture anchors are:
    {To Page | To Paragraph | To Character | As Character | To Frame} -
    except that the "To Frame" option only happens half the time!

Not to split hairs, but one might argue that an image anchored to a
frame might actually exist outside the frame (but I might argue that
for any anchor type).

Did we just step through the Looking Glass? ;-)

Seriously: initially I found it strange that Writer did not treat "Caption" as an inherent spatially-connected attribute of "Picture", but instead creates a frame around picture + caption when the caption is made. However, one can then anchor the picture to the page or a paragraph - and take it completely out of the frame! Maybe it shows my limited imagination, but I think if the frame is the tool by which Writer spatially associates picture to caption, then the picture, like the caption, must be anchored to the frame. Anything else strikes me as perverse.

I usually embed my images as a character on a line with nothing else.
I use a paragraph style that is configured to stay with the next paragraph, which contains the caption.

I place the caption below the image. THis contains a field (for the caption number) and text. I use a specific paragraph style for the
caption.

There are certain benefits to this, but the ability to drag the image
 and caption around in a frame is not one of them. I would ramble on
more about this, but I am hours late for going to sleep.

;-)  Me too.  But thanks for an interesting reply!

John