Hi,

I am keeping a Calc logbook of my own exercise times so that I can see
what factors influence the readings.

Currently I completes a 3km stretch of exercise in 31m and 34s and I
would like to workout my speed and minutes per kilometre.

I have a Sharp calculator(model EL 532) that takes a time value
entered into the unit in the format of hh.mmss and converts it to a
decimal value ie 0.3134 would become 0.5261111. Using the formula of
Speed= Distance / Time  the speed I walk at is 3 / 0.526111 = 5.7km/h.
The minutes it takes me to complete 1km is 3 / 0.526111 = 0.1753694
BUT it is a decimal value and not in minutes and seconds.. The time
value of that converted decimal value is 0.103133 or 10mins, 31 secs
and 33 hundreds of a seconds per 1km.

My problem is creating a spreadsheet formula that would allow me to
enter a time value into a cell in the format of 0.mmss and have the
speed and minutes per kilometer automatically calculated. An added
bonus would be calculating the average time as that would indicate a
performance drop or gain. It is further complicated by the fact that
the base is a multiple of 60 and not 100.

It is easy to work out a decimal value from a time value provide it is
only minutes OR seconds. The problem comes in when they are combined,
as is most often the case. To convert minutes (0.mm00) you take the
number of minutes ie 12 (0.1200) / 60 * 100 = 0.2 which is the decimal
value. Similarly converting 12 secs to a decimal value requires0.0012
/ 3600 * 10000 to give a decimal value of 0.00333330.

I have been punching numbers into my poor calculator trying to work
out the method the calculator uses to convert a time value to a
decimal one with out success. I  know there is the ability to format
cells in a time format but it is calculating the values that has got
me foxed. I am looking for a calculated time value to be displayed in
the format of hh.mmss.

Any help appreciated.
Regards
Hylton