Barbara Duprey wrote:
Harold Fuchs wrote:

John Kaufmann wrote:
Harold and Barbara,

This is written to both of you because you have been most active in trying to fix the the list problems plaguing u...@openoffice.org. I would post this to disc...@openoffice.org, but don't know if you two are subscribed to that list. If you are, and prefer to do this there, please let me know. Meanwhile, to the issue:

<snip>
I was wondering why you did not say something like "Please see instructions at the bottom of this post to unsubscribe", and was going to write to him off-list about it - when I realized that the instructions were not there! - not in Ray's post, not in your reply to him.

That led to a search on posts from the last week, to see how many have the unsubscribe instructions appended. Each day, a majority of posts have that appendix, but some do not. I'm not sure about why there is a difference, but think it may be that unsubscribed posts, and replies to unsubscribed posts, do not get the appended message on how to unsubscribe. Is that your understanding?

[Note: I know from sorry experience that writing to clueless/helpless users like Ray is unlikely to be rewarded with any reply, let alone intelligence leading toward solution of the problem. Ironically, those on the inside of the list management, who should at least be able to answer these questions (and probably address problems) are equally silent and unhelpful. I'm irritated (to say no more) that this is taking so much time and energy, but hopeful that the list can be much more productive if we can quash these irritants - and, if so, OO will benefit.]

So, question #1 for unsubscribing: Do you know what determines when the unsubscribe instructions are appended to a post?
As far as I know the instructions are only appended to messages being sent to *subscribed* users, presumably on the grounds that unsubscribed users don't need them (!) so, as Ray Hall's address was *not* subscribed I thought it futile to mention them.

Just saw a message from the unsubscribed Joshua M., subject "?" -- it had the trailer.

Hmm.

So now we have
per John K: most messages from subscribed users have the instructions but some don't
and
per Barbara D: most messages from unsubscribed users don't have the instructions but some do

Help. Someone. Please.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England