Barbara Duprey wrote:
Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
In a layout for publishing (Openoffice 3.1.1, Debian GNU/Linux) I need to have page headlines that are different on every page. I have inserted headers in left-hand and right-hand page styles, and set an appropriate paragraph style for the content; but when I type a page headline on any page it is copied to all left-hand pages (or all right-hand pages, as the case may be).

I hope I’m overlooking some simple setting. Any help appreciated.

What do you need to have be different in each header? Generally speaking, what you need is to click in the header and use Insert > Fields to select the content you want.

Maybe there's some confusion in terminology? The OP uses two terms, "headlines" and "headers". I'm not sure if Seamas is using those interchangeably or not -- they certainly are not at all equivalent.

If "headers" is really what is meant by "headlines", I'm not sure I understand the objective of having headers that are different on every page. Isn't the point of a header that there is basically the same thing on all pages of that style? (With possible differences being, for example, the page number.)

So maybe "headlines" is really more what is meant, and the OP is confusing "headers" with a way of achieving "headlines"?

So I think we need some clarification from the OP as to what the goal is.