Dear All,
The question I had originally asked about inserting MP4 files into Impress
has been answered!  Thank you all.

I havent figured out how to send a reply directly from the list, so have
cut and pasted the relevant content here.

Quote from NoOp's last message:

@Harold: forget all that, instead see:
http://www.tech-faq.com/windows-media-player-mp4-codec.shtml
Download & install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
<http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack_download.htm>
During the install associate w/WMP & *now* the mp4 will play in both WMP
*and* OOo 3.1.1.

@Christian: it's a shame that a fine open source product/project like
OOo relies on a proprietary media player in Windows. It's surprising
that an option is not available to select and use an alternate open
source media player such as VLC etc.

This works perfectly.  Earlier ffdshow downloads didnt work on my config.
Thank you so much to all of you for spending time and energy on this.

Best,
Leslie
Head - Training & Development, IL&FS Education & Technology Services Ltd,
Calcutta, India

www.ilfsets.com