As a non English speaking person that's very interesting. In Swedish
there has never been an extra space required and I started to learn
English at school in 1975, and nobody ever mentioned an extra space.
So exactly when did this change from being required to NOT being
required?

On the other hand, in 1975 we didn't use computers at school so maybe
that's why they didn't mention anything about spaces…

And I am curious about another thing as well: I have noticed that many
people writing in English adds an extra space right before a ”!” and a
”?”, which is very ugly and at least in Swedish very wrong. Has that
been required too in the past?

Johnny Rosenberg

Sweden ≠ Switzerland…